At the northern terminus of Shah Rahe-Sher Shah (Grand Trunk Road)
proudly stands the city of Peshawar the capital and the largest
city of Northwest Frontier Province.
Down the ages, Peshawar has occupied every prominent
position in history of this part of the world. The city has seen
the rise and fall of many dynasties. It has been the center of Ghandhara
civilization and had been ruled by the Afghans, Mughals, Durranis,
Sikhs and British's as till independence in 1947.
Its thousands year old history is full of old
traditions and tales which are narrated in the Kahuekhavar of the
famous Qissa Khwani Bazar. It has been a rendevous of several invading
hordes and conquerors who pushed down the Khyber Pass to try their
Pushto is the major language spoken, nevertheless
other languages like Hindko is second most common.The city of Peshawar
until mid-fifties was enclosed with a medieval wall constructed
of bricks with 16 gates, namely: Ramdas, Bariskian, Sardchah, Sarki,
Kohati, Yakatoot, Gang, Lahori, Hashtnagri, Rampura, Rati, Kachari,
Andarsher, Kabuli, Debgari and Bajauri but in recent years a lot
of expansion has taken place and new colonies like Gulbahar and
Yayatabad have been built out side and walled city. The city walls
have been pulled down and most of the gates have disappeared.
The mighty Balahisar Fort lies on both eastern and western approaches
to Peshawar city. It meets the eye when coming from Punjab or Khyber.
It is a massive frowning structure as it's name implies and the
newcomer passing under the shadows of it's huge battlement and rampart
cannot fail to be impressed. Originally built by Babar the first
of the Mughals in 1526-30 A.D. it was rebuilt in it's present form
by the Sikh governor of Peshawar Hari Singh Nalva. in 1830 A.D.
under the guidance of French engineers. It houses the Frontier Corps
Headquarters at present.
PESHAWAR UNIVERSITY: The Peshawar university founded in
1950 AD. Is the out growth of Islamia college, Peshawar which
was established in 1913 AD. By late Nawab Sir Sahibzada Abdul
Qayyum khan. The first chief minister of NWFP. His namesake and
another prominent political figure, Khan Abdul Qayyum Khan laid
the foundation of the university during his tenure as chief minister
The university campus is spread over an area 1.000 acres. During
the course of fifty years it has grown into big town ship. It
is situated at a distance of about 8 kilometers from Peshawar
cantonment along the Khyber road on the way to Khyber Pass. It
is a resident university and all most all the teaching staff;
student and employees live there.
Besides teaching requirements at the university, authorities
have not over looked the sports and other extra curricular activities.
Facilities for all types of recognized out door and in door games
have been provided. College and university tournaments are held
regularly in games like hockey, football, cricket, swimming, badminton,
volleyball, basket ball, tennis boating, shooting and athletics.
There are various types of unions and associations to provide
the students debating forum. The university has a big library
with nearly 100,000 books and manuscripts.
MAHABAT KHAN MOSQUE:
The only significant remaining Mughal mosque in Peshawar was built
by Mahabat Khan in 1670 A.D. when he was twice governor of Peshawar
under Mughal emperor Shah Jehan and Aurangzeb. The mosque was
nearly destroyed by Sikh's in 1898 AD and was only saved by unremitting
efforts of the faithful. The extensive renovation of the mosque
was done by the traditional craftsmen. The mosque is a fine specimen
of Mughal Architecture of Shah Jehan period. The interior of the
prayer chamber has been lavishly decorated with floral work and